It’s important in order to have an order in society. Civil servants are the working arms of civil society specially for the legislatures. Civil Services of India, support Country’s legal and administrative systems since Civil Services Officers take profession of Particular Departments of the Civil Framework of the nation.
Accountability of a civil servant
- In any democracy, political systems (leaders) are responsible to the people through Parliament and therefore the civil servants have to be accountable to the Minister.
- However, an impartial civil service is responsible not only to the government of the day but
to the Constitution of the land to which they have taken an oath of loyalty.
Role of Civil Services in Indian Democracy
- Give advice to political executives.
- Assist the political executive to: (a) Formulate policy (b) Implement policy.
- NB: Qualities expected from Civil Servants: Knowledge, experience, understanding of public affairs etc.
Constitutional Provisions Related to Civil Services in India
- In terms of Articles 53 and 154, the executive power of the Union and the States vests in the President or Governor directly or through officers subordinate to him. These officers constitute the permanent civil service and are governed by Part XIV of the Constitution (Services under the Union and States (Article 308-323)).
- Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules: Work is allocated among Ministers as per the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules.
- Government of India (Transaction of Business) Rules: The manner in which the officers are required to help the President or Governor to exercise his/her executive functions is governed by the Government of India (Transaction of Business) Rules.
- Article 308 – Definition of state. Article 310 – Tenure of office of persons serving the Union or a State. Article 311 – Dismissal, removal or reduction in rank of persons employed in civil capacities under the Union or a State. Article 312 – All India Services and Article 313 – Transitional Provisions.